Bay on the north side of Coronation Island. South east of Findlay Point and west of Palmer Bay.
Named for John William Norie (1772-1843), hydrographer, chart maker and publisher of nautical books as J.W Norie and co.
Most famous for his ‘Epitome of Practical Navigation’ (1805) which became a standard work on navigation. Forerunner
of independent chart publishers Imray, Laurie, Norie and Wilson Ltd. In association with Findlay Point, Laurie Island and Purdy
Point, other leading C19 compilers and publishers of charts and nautical directories.
Point on north coast of Coronation Island, between Purdy Point and Findlay Point.
Named for James Whittle (1757-1818), partner with Robert Laurie in Laurie and Whittle Ltd. (1794-1818) leading C19
publishers of maps, charts and nautical works. The firm was later taken over by Richard Holmes Laurie (Laurie Island)
and was a forerunner of independent chart publishers Imray, Laurie, Norie and Wilson Ltd. In association with Purdy
Point, Findlay Point and Laurie Island, other prominent C19 compilers and publishers of charts and nautical directories.
Bay on the north coast of Coronation Island between Conception Point and Prong Point, west of Ommaney Bay.
Named for James Imray (1803-1870), founder of James Imray and Son Ltd, publisher of an extensive list of charts and pilot
books and forerunner of independent chart publishers Imray, Laurie, Norie and Wilson Ltd. In association with Findlay
Point, Laurie Island and Purdy Point, other leading C19 compilers and publishers of charts and nautical directories.
Bay on the north side of Coronation Island between Tickell Head and Conception Point.
Named for R.L. Sherman, surveyor at Base H Signy island, 1957-58. Along with J.F.D. Bridger he carried out the triangulation and traversing work for the map: South Orkney Islands, DOS 510 Series, South Orkney Islands, West Sheet. 1963.
Point between Demel Cove and Skog Bay, and forming the north-west boundary of Wilkinson Glacier, Arrowsmith Peninsula. Named for Dr Kim Crosbie (b.1969), Environmental Manager and Operations Director (2005-2013), and Executive Director (2013-17) for the International Association of Antarctica Tour Operators (IAATO). She played a leading role in developing safe and environmentally responsible tourism in Antarctica, including working on the International Maritime Organisation’s Polar Code. Dr Crosbie was awarded the Polar Medal in 2016.
Most prominent mountain in a series of peaks between Fleece and Leppard glaciers, Graham Land. A 4.2 km long ridge rising to about 2000 m, mainly snow covered but with extensive rock outcrops along the ridge and on the south-west flank. Named for Dr Erik Ivins (b.1949), Senior Research Scientist at the NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasedena, California. Dr Ivins carried out influential research on glacial isostatic adjustment, with particular focus on Antarctica’s response to past and present ice-sheet change.
Island 1.1 km long about 2.5 km to the north of Mothes Point in Barlas Channel. The feature was an isthmus in 1960 when the names in this area were allocated. It is now separated from Adelaide Island by a 1 km wide channel.
Named in association with the names of glaciologists grouped in this area, for Dr Fritz Loewe (1895-1974) of the German Aviation Weather Bureau, Berlin. Glaciologist on Wegener’s German Greenland Expedition 1930-31. He spent a difficult winter at the central Ice Cap Station Eismitte 1930-31 with Ernst Sorge (q.v) and Johannes Georgi (q.v.). Despite great hardships, including amputation of Loewe’s toes due to frostbite, they still managed to acquire valuable glaciological observations. He later worked at the Scott Polar Research Institute, founded the first meteorological institute in Australia and was a member of further polar expeditions.
Glacier flowing northwest into Lindblad Cove, Charcot Bay, Graham Land. It lies 2 km northeast of McNeile Glacier and is the middle glacier flowing into Lindblad Cove. Named for Darrel Schoeling (b.1958), IAATO Executive secretary 1994-98, who wrote the first joint Initial Environmental Evaluation for ship-based Antarctic tourism 1996. United States delegate to Antarctic Treaty Consultative Meeting (ATCM) 1992-1998. Led preparation of ‘Guidance for Visitors to the Antarctic’, a key document in the development of ATCM Recommendation XVIII-1 in 1994. Named in association with Lindblad Cove and Landau Glacier.
Cove 4. 5 km wide and 7.5 km deep on the south side of Darbel Bay, Loubet Coast. Named in association with Widdowson Glacier and with the names of biochemists grouped in this area. Dr Elsie May Widdowson (1906-2000), of the Department of Experimental medicine, University of Cambridge, 1938-66, joint author with R.A. McCance (McCance Glacier, q.v.) of The chemical composition of foods (London, 1940), a fundamental work containing all the quantitative data required for calculating expedition ration requirements other than vitamins.
Cove 4.5 km wide and 5 km deep to the north of Phantom Point on the north eastern side of Darbel Bay, Loubet Coast. Named in association with Cardell Glacier and with the names grouped in this area of pioneers in the prevention of snow-blindness. John Douglas Magor Cardell (1896-1966), English ophthalmic surgeon, who in co-operation with Messrs Theodore Hamblin Ltd (Hamblin Glacier, q.v.) in 1933 evolved the first satisfactory snow-goggle design, combining adequate protection and ventilation with safety and visual field.
Cove 2.5 km wide and 3.5 km deep on the eastern side of Darbel Bay, Loubet Coast. Named in association with Hopkins Glacier. Named after Sir Frederick Gowland Hopkins (1861-1947), founder of the School of Biochemistry and Professor of Biochemistry, University of Cambridge, 1914-43, who made pioneering investigations on synthetic diets and vitamins of importance to the development of sledge rations; Nobel Laureate in medicine, 1929.
Glacier 8.5 km long and 2.5 km wide, flowing north-west from Mount Paulcke towards Harrison Passage, Graham Coast. Named after Rudolf Lettner, Austrian climber and mountain skier, in association with names of pioneers of ski-mountaineering grouped in this area. Developed the use of steel edges for skis, improving control on steep and icy slopes, patented 1926.
3 km long glacier flowing north from Mount Français into Fournier Bay, Anvers Island. Named after Karl Kraus (1939-2006), Professor and Head of the Institute of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, Technical University of Vienna, 1974-2006. Researched and published widely on new techniques in digital photogrammetry, laser scanning and Digital Elevation Model extraction and quality assessment. Author of five key textbooks on photogrammetry and remote sensing.
2 km long glacier flowing east between Walker Point and Pygoscelis Point, Elephant Island. Named after Professor Frederick J. Doyle (1920 - 2013), who played a key role in the development of photogrammetric mapping from space platforms.
Leader of NASA Apollo Orbital Science Photographic Team from 1969, developing camera systems used to map the surface of the moon, and for later missions to Mars, Venus and Mercury. Developed sensors for early Landsat systems and large format cameras for the Space Shuttle.
4 km long glacier flowing east into the unnamed cove between Cape Valentine and Walker Point, Elephant Island. Named in association with The Stadium, the cirque that is the source of the glacier. Named Stadium Glacier by Furse (Elephant Island, an Antarctic Expedition, 1979, p.127), but the name was not adopted at the time.
E coast of Adelaide Island on Barlas Channel, was surveyed by FIDS from "Stonington Island" in September 1948 and photographed from the air by FIDASE, 1956-57; in association with the names of glaciologists grouped in this area, named after Prof. Hans Mothes (b.1902), German glaciologist of Göttingen who, with B. Brockhamp (Brockhamp Islands, q.v.), made the first seismic sounding of a glacier, in Austria in 1926 (APC, 1960, p.6; BAS 250P sheet SQ 19-20/14 (Ext.), 1-DOS 1978).
Position amended 14/04/2016 in association with new name Mothes Island (q.v). The isthmus of Mothes Point became a true island in about 1999. By April 2016 the channel between the island and Adelaide Island had widened to about 150 metres and the position of Mothes Point was adjusted accordingly.
Island about 150 m wide off the east coast of Adelaide Island. Surveyed by FIDS from "Stonington Island" in September 1948 and photographed from the air by FIDASE, 1956-57; in association with the names of glaciologists grouped in this area, named after Prof. Hans Mothes (b.1902), German glaciologist of Göttingen who, with B. Brockhamp (Brockhamp Islands, q.v.), made the first seismic sounding of a glacier, in Austria in 1926.
The isthmus previously named Mothes Point became a true island in about 1999. By April 2016 the channel between the island and Adelaide Island had widened to about 150 metres.
Peak with rocky east and west faces, located just south west of Langley Peak, Wright Ice Piedmont, Davis Coast. It is the highest peak in the area at 982 m. Named after Pilatus Aircraft Ltd, a Swiss aviation company founded in 1939 and makers of the Pilatus Porter PC-6 aircraft used in Antarctica in the 1960s, in continuation of the theme of 'Pioneers of Aviation' established in the area.