The Committee is composed of experts from the fields of Antarctic toponymy, science, geography, navigation, international relations and exploration. It includes representatives from each of the following organisations:
- Government for British Antarctic Territory
- British Antarctic Survey
- Permanent Committee on Geographical Names
- Royal Geographical Society
- Scott Polar Research Institute, University of Cambridge
- UK Antarctic Heritage Trust
- UK Hydrographic Office
In addition there are up to three expert members with expertise in Antarctic toponymy and up to two ad hoc members with expertise in relevant disciplines.
The Secretary is responsible for all of the administrative and organisational work of the APC and is based at the British Antarctic Survey in Cambridge.