Prominent peak (1268 m) on the ridge south of Novosilski Glacier, and north and west of Harmer Glacier, South Georgia.
Named after the sealer and supply vessel Viola, which operated out of Grytviken Whaling Station from 1927 until she was abandoned there on closure of the whaling station in 1965. Originally built in Beverley, UK, in 1906 as a trawler, she became the vessel of choice for supporting expeditions due to her trawler’s large hold: Kohl-Larsen expedition in 1928/9; South Georgia Survey Expeditions 1951 - 1957; South Georgia Biological Expedition 1958-59; support to Royal Navy Hydrographic Survey Expedition of 1960/61.
Renamed Dias, or Diaz in 1927 (q.v. Diaz Cove) and the peak stands above Diaz Cove.
Cove on the west side of Maiviken. Named after John Aiken (1889-1954) who was born in the Falkland Islands, and recruited in Stanley as a ship's boy, for the 1901-04 Swedish Antarctic Expeditions’s ship Antarctic. After the South Georgia visit and subsequent wreck of the ship off the Antarctic Peninsula he wintered on Paulet Island before rescue in November 1903.
Aiken was a member of a party of four crew from Antarctic who landed at Maiviken on 21 May 1902 (the origin of the name Maiviken), and, after local exploration, continued over the pass to Grytviken. The other members of the party: Andersson, Dusé and Skottsberg also have features named after them in the Maiviken area.